Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Recovery Update!

It’s been exactly one week and one day since I’ve had my spur of the moment bilateral hip replacement. I call it “spur of the moment” because everything happened so quickly! It all started on January 17th  while sitting in the doctor’s office with my parents and Michael. After Dr. Alexiades came to the conclusion that I needed a bilateral hip replacement, he told us he would probably be booked until May or June to do my procedure; unless of course there were cancellations... After hearing that I said a quick prayer in my head as we waited in his assistant’s office to schedule my surgery date. She told me there had been some cancellations and then asked me how soon I wanted it done and I was like, “as soon as possible!” So after a little waiting and plenty of praying, she asked me, “how about on Monday?” and I said “yes” without hesitation. Monday was only four days away and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous, it was my first serious surgery after all. But I was calmed after hearing rave reviews about The Hospital for Special Surgeries and the overwhelming flow of prayers I had been receiving.  God revealed His mercy to me and it couldn't have worked out better, after the surgery I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off shoulders, or in my case both of my hips.

At the moment, my pain is at bay and I’m feeling pretty great considering I had both of my hips replaced. In fact, I should be off my crutches by next week and switching to a cane for another couple of weeks which is exciting progress. The swelling on my thighs, butt (oh my word was it huge…) and pelvis went down significantly! I can finally tell that I’m standing and walking without a wobbling, and notice that my legs are now even. Unfortunately I think the only thing compromising the pace of my recovery is the Coumadin I have to take on a daily basis; which is a blood thinner which prevents blood clots but like anything else it has its side effects. It makes my skin very vulnerable and more susceptible to cuts and bruises. For example I’ve noticed a heck of a lot of bruises on my knees, calves and inner and outer thighs, making it uncomfortable for me to sleep. But I’ve been sleeping on my back and with fewer blankets on me which is different, but very helpful at the same time! I also have to limit eating too much vitamin K which is the antidote of Coumadin. So this means I must go easy on the kale for the next three weeks. Wah!

Aside from getting random bruises on my legs and a little swelling, I’d say I should be ready to roam about unassisted, by my next follow up visit on February 21st. I’m so thrilled to be able to be active again, and enjoy being 20 years old without experiencing arthritic pain and always feeling fatigued. Most importantly be able to do the merengue at my grandmothers 80th birthday party in April, oh it’s going to be a whole new world for me! A la Aladdin. In other words my life is going to change a lot this year in more ways than one!  Now I am going to enjoy some reading followed by a nap, I promise to continue keeping everyone posted on my recovery status. Peace!
-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment