Thursday, August 1, 2013

Some new highlights and a dreamy oatmeal recipe :)


So today is another one of those “bad days” but instead of dwelling on that subject, I much rather share the accomplishments and new highlights in my life. Such as finishing my internship last Friday and being in the process of graduating, Michael and I celebrating our 1 ½ year anniversary and getting closer and closer to my sister’s wedding. Having my internship finished before summer ends is really splendid! The experience was awesome though, I had a great time helping with the prep work for a month and learning more about running a business. It was a laid back atmosphere and the staff was very helpful. I enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to whatever God leads me to next.


http://distilleryimage0.ak.instagram.com/a694009cf71a11e29a0a22000a1fba82_7.jpghttp://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/c83b50c8f71b11e283d722000a1f99fc_7.jpg
I know you’re probably like “who in the world celebrates their 1 ½ year anniversary?” but, we do. At first we probably wouldn’t even have thought twice about it, but I looked at my calendar one day and realized it would be our last anniversary before we get married. Michael and I love to savor the little things in life, so we spent the day doing things we loved to do together! We went to the gym (chest day!), explored Rutgers gardens and went back to his apartment to make a fabulous dinner together. Shrimp with cauliflower, broccoli, shiitake mushrooms and a divine sweet potato mash! We then ate dessert consisting of chocolate and cuddled a bit, if you must know! It was a great day despite the garbage disposal incident… Which is another story for another day but we were able to enjoy ourselves and that’s what’s most important, right? I think so :)

Lastly, I can’t believe Aria is getting married in two weeks! Seems like her and David just got engaged the other day, though at the same time it feels like time is going slower and slower during this time as she works on her final details. I have a funny feeling the same thing is going to happen to Michael and I, and speaking of our planning we just finished a template for our wedding invitations. That’s our project right now: finish the invites, send them out by the end of the month and wait for people to respond. Then of course tackle on more d.i.y. fun! For Aria’s wedding, I’m really looking forward to seeing her and David’s ceremony and being a part of their special day. Weddings are awesome! I never thought I’d say that, or that I would be getting married in the same year as my sister. But life surprises you and marriage is going to be so wonderful for all four of us!

In other news here’s a delicious oatmeal recipe that I made a couple of mornings ago. It’s my kind of oatmeal: creamy, smooth and thick. I learned that steel cut oats are the way to go on a relaxed morning. If you’re more of a “get up and go” type of person, I recommend you make the oatmeal the night before and add the fruit + nuts in the morning. But if you’re like me, you’ll sacrifice waking up early just because you love indulging in a no rush, comforting breakfast. 

                                  



http://distilleryimage7.ak.instagram.com/d3169e82f9df11e2995322000ae9029f_7.jpg

dreamy creamy oats
  • 1/3 cup coconut milk + 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • ¼ cup steel cut oats
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup almond milk 
  •  ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon cardamom
  • Optional: 1 pitted date, chopped or 1 teaspoon maple syrup // Personally I find the date method the best, it not only sweetens the entire bowl of oats, but it adds texture and more fiber!
First, make chia infused milk! Stir coconut milk with chia seeds and set aside. While chia seeds thicken the coconut milk, heat oats with almond milk, water and salt on high heat. Once it begins to boil lower the heat, throw in the spices and chopped date and begin to stir the oats frequently. Allow the oats to cook for five minutes and fold in the chia-infused coconut milk. Stir this gently for another five minutes or until desired consistency. If you’d like you can top your oats with fresh fruit and garnish with more cinnamon.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment