Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Overnight Oat Espresso Smoothie


I was around 18 years old when I became more serious about eating healthier, and it made me realize how eating a good breakfast affected my mood in the morning. Truth be told, I wasn't always a morning person and now breakfast is one of my favorite meal's of the day! In my opinion a good breakfast needs healthy fat, protein, and most of the time whole grains. Oh and there must be coffee present! Keeping all of that in mind this overnight oat espresso smoothie is an A+ in my book. 

Much like any overnight oat recipe, most of the work goes on while you're sleeping; the oats and chia seeds soak in the milk promising a beautiful pudding-y texture in the morning. I prefer using frozen bananas in smoothies because it gives them an indulgent, frosty and creamy mouth-feel. In this particular smoothie, I feel like I'm indulging in a fancy frappe but in reality it's a nutritious smoothie we all can enjoy at home! To brew the shot of espresso, I used my Nespresso and my favorite flavors are Altissio & Diavolitto because they really pack on a punch!

Here's all you need to do:











overnight oat espresso smoothie
serves 1

  • 1/4 cup old fashioned oats 
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1 cup milk of choice 
  • A shot of espresso or 1/2 cup of strong brewed coffee
  • 1 frozen sliced banana
  • 1-2 medjool dates, pitted
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • optional: 1 tablespoon smooth almond or peanut butter
Combine oats, chia seeds and milk in a small bowl. Seal with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The next day brew the espresso and set aside. Place frozen banana, dates, cinnamon, almond extract and nut butter in blender. Pour espresso with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy. If you prefer a cooler smoothie add in some ice. Serve immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment