Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Peach & Walnut Smoothie

I think I may have hit the mommy brain trifecta! It all started a couple Friday's ago, when I made these lovely peach pie bars and without realizing until after they were in the oven, I put 1 tablespoon of BAKING POWDER instead of 1 tablespoon of CORNSTARCH in the peach filling. What the heck. The result wasn't pretty, the peach filling was gray and as expected the taste was completely off. I didn't beat myself up about it because the baking powder and cornstarch containers were quite similar looking. I only knew it wasn't cornstarch because I had recycled that container, and had opened one that comes from a bag. Oops!



Last week I did a lot of cooking/baking, because it was Michael's birthday, I also cooked for a family who recently had a baby, and baked a cake for the church picnic, etc. I guess my brain was a little fried from all the planning, prepping, cooking, and eating because my mommy brain (or maybe Jessica brain would be the correct term here) was back in effect this Sunday. We went straight to the grocery store after church, and I got more Brita filters and smoked salmon from Costco thinking we ran out of both. Michael insisted we still had both but I was positive we didn't. As soon as we come home and were putting away our groceries, he finds both an unopened box of Brita filters in the cabinet and vacuum sealed smoked salmon in the fridge. All I could say was "at least we don't have to buy either for a while..."  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Now that all of that is out in the open, let's focus on this Peach & Walnut smoothie that I like to believe redeems me of my Jessica/mommy brain tendencies. We received gigantically beautiful peaches from our CSA, and I used a couple to bake with, devoured whole ones with Lydia, and froze the rest for smoothies. When ripened aren't peaches the most succulent and delicious summer fruits you've ever eaten? Messy but so worth it. I especially love them in this smoothie! I added walnuts because I like a thick smoothie that will keep me full and satisfied, two admirable qualities in a smoothie if you ask me.


Peach & Walnut Smoothie (vegan, gluten-free*)
  • 1 peach fresh or frozen, sliced 
  • half banana, peeled and frozen overnight
  • 1 medjool date, pitted or 1 tablespoon maple syrup for sweetness
  • 2 tablespoons rolled oats*
  • 1 handful raw walnuts (about 2-3 tablespoons...)
  • A dash of cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
*Use gluten-free oats if necessary. Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until thoroughly combined. Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately!



No comments:

Post a Comment