Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Banana and Cranberry Scones (free of eggs and dairy)




Sometimes I get into these overly energetic kicks where I feel like I’m on top of the world. I often feel like I can do a million things at once which vary from cooking, exercising and baking to washing my hair, etc. I have no idea what causes these unusual shots of energy but I never complain when I experience it! During one of these cycles of feeling giddy and productive, I wrote and baked a new recipe that I believe was quite successful. Vegan banana and cranberry scones! To be honest I don’t think I've ever eaten a scone in my life because traditionally they have eggs and butter in them, and when I was little they didn't scream delicious to me. But now that I’m older, I think they’re adorable and dainty and especially sweet when shared with family and friends… Or a husband who loves when his wife gets random urges to bake!

Banana and Cranberry Scones
Slightly adapted from this beautiful scone recipe

2 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup oat flour (I grinded oats in the food processor until it resembled coarse flour)
¼ cup natural cane sugar
½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 ¼ tsp. baking powder
1 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped (dry cranberries or cherries would work here too just reduce to ½ cup)
6 tbsp. cold coconut oil
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
½ cup full fat canned coconut milk + ¼ cup divided
1 tbsp. orange zest
Sugar, cinnamon and cardamom for garnish



Preheat your oven to 400 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix flours, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking powder together. Mix in the cranberries. Work the solidified coconut oil into the flour and mix with your fingers until you get pea sized pebbles. Fold in the mashed banana, coconut milk and zest together until incorporated. Don’t over mix.  Pat dough together, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 20 minutes to chill.


On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough in two and make two disks that about 1.5” thick. Cut the disk in half, then in half the other way so that you get four triangles. Place them on parchment paper and brush with the extra coconut milk on top and sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon and cardamom mixture on top. Bake on the middle rack for 16-18 minutes, rotating the baking tray half way through baking. Repeat with the second batch and serve just above room temperature. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment