Thursday, April 10, 2014

Kale and Sweet Potato Tofu Scramble



I have a confession, I can’t eat eggs; and it’s not because I think they’re gross or that I’m a vegan, but because I have a horrible intolerance towards them which worsened after I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. My symptoms are almost identical to my cow dairy intolerance; I get lethargic, cramps in my abdomen and have awful memories of me lying in fetal position until the pain would go away. This food sensitivity has been especially difficult because I believe eggs are such a wonderful and unique ingredient. They are not only an excellent source of protein but are a cook’s best friend due to their ability to bind ingredients, leaven cakes and create beautiful curds and meringues. In culinary school we had two days dedicated to learning the basic techniques of eggs, and while they were amazing classes, I felt so left out when everyone got to taste their soufflés and poached eggs with homemade hollandaise at the end of the class. 

On the bright side, I've learned to accept my food sensitivities and have noticed that my body is much kinder to me when I’m eating a proper diet. While eggs are great, they’re not great for me and eliminating them from my diet has been a blessing in disguise. It has challenged me to learn a different style of baking and cooking, and to me substituting eggs in recipes has been a joyful experience rather than a nuisance.  With that being said, I am delighted to present you all with a delicious and flavorful tofu scramble. Tofu definitely provides a superb “egg like” texture to this recipe, while the turmeric lends color the nutritional yeast adds flavor and a boost of vitamin B12. I added roasted sweet potatoes, tomatoes and kale to make this scramble nice and hearty. If you don't have smoked paprika, I would assume chili powder would be a nice alternative!  

best served with avocado toast, of course :)

Kale and Sweet Potato Tofu Scramble

2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 sweet potato, cut into medium cubes
8 grape tomatoes cut in half
1 block extra firm tofu, pressed and drained*
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 small onion, chopped medium dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp smoked paprika
¼ cup nutritional yeast
Bunch of kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
Splash of apple cider vinegar and 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
¼ bunch cilantro or parsley, roughly chopped
2 green onions, sliced thin


*If you're an avid tofu cooker, I highly recommend investing in a tofu press; it's not only been a time saver but a paper towel saver!

Directions:
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees.
2. Press and drain tofu.
3. Roast sweet potatoes with coconut oil and season with a little salt + pepper, roast for 20 minutes and add in grape tomatoes and roast for another 10 minutes. 
4. In a large bowl crumble the pressed tofu with hands and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Heat oil in a cast iron or stainless steel pain over medium-high heat. Saute onion until translucent and add garlic and cook until fragrant.
6. Toss in the roasted sweet potatoes, tomatoes and tofu, stirring to incorporate ingredients.
7. Add in spices, nutritional yeast and kale; stirring to incorporate flavor and allowing the kale to wilt.
8. Add a splash of apple cider vinegar and the maple syrup. Take off from heat and top with cilantro and green onion. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!
-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment