Monday, April 21, 2014

Spring Things

Because springtime is one of my favorite seasons (autumn certainly comes second!), I decided to make a short list of all my favorite things about it.

source via flickr



1. Nature is at its prettiest. One of my favorite things about springtime is when you can go outside without a jacket, hear the birds chirping and notice the amount of flowers that magically blossomed overnight. Spring always manages to awaken my inspiration, as I have fond memories of spending all afternoon writing and reading outside in spring as a teenager. I get the worst best farmers tans, but I don't really care because I'm outside and loving it! This spring is especially dear to me, because it will be Michael and I's first spring as a married couple. 

PS: if you are a man (hint hint), springtime is an ideal time to pick or purchase an abundant bouquet of flowers for your lady because they’re at their prettiest and will instantly brighten any room in the house.

2. Carefree style! Oh my goodness. With the weather not being too hot or too cold there is so much versatility of things to wear, so what's not to love about spring fashion? I love that I can wear sandals, jeans without my legs becoming sticky, and chiffon blouses and skirts without becoming an ice cube! I am also excited to paint my nails brighter hues, sport fruitier makeup shades and wear flowers and braids in my hair.



3. Spring is the season of some of my favorite fruits and vegetables:
  • asparagus
  • peas
  • beets
  • strawberries
  • mangoes 
  • limes
The other night Michael and I got dinner at Kaya in Pittsburgh. It was their monthly vegan/vegetarian prix fix menu and the April menu featured asparagus, ramps, leeks, fava beans and strawberries. In order to get the most of the menu, Michael got all the vegetarian options and I got all the vegan! My favorite out of the three dishes was the vegan Asparagus & Ramp Maki roll which consisted of asparagus, black sesame seeds and ramp paired with a delicious yuzu soy sauce. It was amazing! The whole meal definitely prepared my taste buds for this short but sweet season of tasty fruits and vegetables.

4. Picnics! I believe they are the perfect date in springtime because the weather is mostly mild and warmer, without being very hot. An ideal picnic date for me consists of no rain (unless it begins immediately after you're in car ready to leave!), tuna sandwiches on rye bread, strawberries, kombucha and good conversation.

“If people did not love one another, I really don't see what use there would be in having any spring.”  -Victor Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment