Friday, May 23, 2014

Golden Cornmeal Waffles ( egg free + dairy and gluten free variations )



Waffles are definitely my favorite breakfast, and when I’m tired of oatmeal or smoothies I like to indulge in a waffle or two. To make this possible, I make big batches of waffles and freeze them for future quick and indulgent breakfasts.  The way Michael and I eat waffles is with a bit of peanut or almond butter which works as a glue for the fruit we top it with and a drizzling of maple syrup or local honey, and a dash of cinnamon. On the subject of waffles, I've always been a sweeter person rather than savory and have never been daring enough to try chicken and waffles. I feel like cornmeal waffles would probably taste delicious topped with chili but again, when it comes to waffles I’m a traditionalist and love me some maple syrup…But,  I am sure Michael would be into that sort of thing, as he is more of a savory guy than sweet! : )



Anyway for a while I've been making vegan banana waffles which are delicious and the batter is easily blended in the Vitamix; thanks to this lovely recipe. But I decided I would step out of my banana waffle comfort zone and try my hand at vegan buckwheat waffles with chocolate chips and cornmeal waffles.  While the results of the buckwheat waffles were just okay and I’m not quite sold on sharing them today, I am still happily eating the leftovers. Next time I will use rice flour along with the buckwheat instead of whole wheat pastry flour to make the recipe entirely gluten free, and replace the chocolate chips for blueberries. The chocolate chips melted and tasted a little burnt to me. On the bright side, the cornmeal waffles stole the show with their deliciously nutty flavor and beautifully golden hue!

Recipe adapted from Food Republic

1 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
2 ½ tablespoons natural cane sugar
1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons flaxmeal + 5 tablespoons water
2 1/3 cups goat milk or non-dairy milk of choice, + 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, at room temperature
6 tablespoons coconut oil or organic shortening, melted and cooled slightly

Directions: 
In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine the flax meal with water and let thicken for about five minutes. Once thickened, whisk in the melted shortening/coconut oil. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until the batter is just combined. Be careful to not over mix. Allow mixture to rest. Preheat your waffle iron and pour a generous ½ cup of batter into the center of the waffle iron. Use a rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly onto about half an inch away from the waffle iron’s edge. Close the lid and cook the waffles until desired doneness. Remove the waffles and let them cool on a wire rack a minute or so before serving. Repeat. Serve immediately, or set aside to cool completely and freeze. Treat your frozen waffles like store-bought by popping them into your toaster/toaster oven. Enjoy! 

Side note// I have tried the recipe with a gluten free all-purpose flour blend, and it provided a much crispier waffle which I found to be equally pleasant. If you're going the gluten free route and have no issue with eggs, try swapping the flax meal for real eggs using Food Republic recipe's egg technique for a fluffier waffle. 

Enjoy your breakfast,
-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment