Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Pumpkin Chai Snickerdoodle [Coconut Milk] Ice Cream





In my dreams, I own an eclectic little cafe where I spend most of my time pouring my heart into making delicious food and sharing the fruits of my labor with new friends everyday. On occasion, I serve my customers frozen treats with flavors that are inspired by my fondest memories, and because I adore the fall season, I would absolutely serve an ice cream that represents this season. I don't know when this dream will come true so in the meantime, I will just use this corner of the internet and share the recipes that inspire me most and hope to myself that you'll enjoy it!

The recipe I'm sharing with you all is a Pumpkin Chai Snickerdoodle ice cream using coconut milk and arrowroot starch instead of heavy cream, milk and egg yolks, making this recipe dairy and egg-free. It is an excellent alternative for those with dietary restrictions or if you are simply wanting to try something new! The base is laced with cinnamon and just a kiss of cardamom while the cookies added bring along cloves, ginger and all-spice to the party. I find that these are coziest of flavors during this time of year and also like to think of this as an autumn inspired cookies and cream. With that said, let's get this ice cream cooking! Side note: isn't it fascinating that ice cream is cooked before it's chilled?

Pumpkin Chai Snickerdoodle Ice Cream

2 cans full-fat coconut milk
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/3 cup cane sugar
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1 tablespoon arrowroot
1 tablespoon bourbon or vodka (an essential ingredient to help prevent the ice cream from becoming rock hard)
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup chopped Pumpkin Chai Snickerdoodle's

Directions:
·        Freeze your ice cream maker bowl for at least 24 hours before starting this recipe.  
·        Prepare an ice bath: using two large heat-safe (preferably stainless steel) mixing bowls that can nest together. Fill the larger of the two bowls with about 1/3 full of ice and about a cup of water.
·        Place the smaller bowl on top. Set aside. Empty entire contents of both coconut milk cans into a medium-sized pot.
·        Remove about a few tablespoons of the coconut milk liquid and place in a small bowl along with the arrowroot. Whisk thoroughly until combined. Pour starch mixture into the pot along with the brown rice syrup, cane sugar and spices.
·        Heat over medium and whisk the ingredients until fully combined. Allow mixture to boil about 1 ½ minutes and slowly stir with whisk. Remove from heat and pour mixture into the top bowl of your ice bath.
·        Whisk in the bourbon and vanilla, and let the mixture sit until ice cold, whisking every so often. It usually takes about an hour to an hour and a half to fully chill. The colder the mixture the better!  Patience is a virtue here my friends.
·         Once cold, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and turn on. Follow manufacturer’s instructions, when ice cream is almost done (it’ll be struggling and have the consistency of a thick soft-serve), add in the chopped cookies.
·        Remove ice cream into an 8x4” bread pan or a silicon ice cream container once complete. I have the Cuisinart brand and for me it takes about 35 minutes to get a soft serve-like consistency.
·        Pack ice cream into container/bread pan and spread evenly. Place a piece of parchment or wax paper on the surface of the ice cream and press lightly so it’s fully stuck to the top.
·        Freeze ice cream at least 4 hours before serving. (Again, patience is a virtue my friends!!) Let ice cream sit for a few minutes then scoop, serve, and devour. Before placing ice cream back in the freezer, make sure you place the parchment paper securely on the surface of the ice cream to help avoid ice crystals forming.
Recipe adapted from here



No comments:

Post a Comment