Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles




I think breakfast on Saturdays is allowed to be more on the indulgent side. Indulgence to me is enjoying homemade blueberry studded buttermilk waffles, piled high with more blueberries, freshly whipped cream, and a nice drizzle of maple syrup! It's the little things, really ;) Waffles are one of my favorite things to eat before beginning a busy Saturday of working around or outside of the house. I think slowing down and indulging in some waffles before chores is good for the soul!

A bit of a side note: I used to be obsessed with diner style buttermilk pancakes but somehow I lost interest, started making my own waffles and converted into a waffle lover. I love that they have these adorable squares that securely hold onto the syrup and are sturdy enough to withstand all my toppings without getting soggy. So yeah, waffles are my carb-y breakfast of choice! 

Anyway-- I usually prepare these waffles on a free afternoon, let them cool down completely and then freeze them to eat on the weekend. There's something so reassuring about knowing breakfast is halfway done and the biggest task when I wake up in the morning is toasting the waffles and making whipped cream. I hope you guys can indulge in these fluffy blueberry buttermilk waffles on a relaxing Saturday morning with friends and family. Enjoy those little things!

Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles (recipe adapated from here)
makes 10 square waffles
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons cane sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs, separated 
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and ground cinnamon. Next whisk in egg yolks, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla bean paste. Using a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, immersion blender or your own hand and whisk, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold stiff egg whites into batter along with blueberries. Heat waffle maker, spray with cooking spray (if necessary) and prepare waffles according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve warm or cool down completely on cooling racks and freeze in freezer safe bags. To reheat simply toast til warm. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment