Friday, February 6, 2015

Tahini & Sweet Potato Smoothie


Michael and I have a weekly ritual of eating smoothies, I say eat 'cause they're so thick you need a spoon! I like to call this ritual "Smoothie Sundays" but have never actually said that aloud. This became our thing sometime last year when Michael and I started attending church at HBC; we needed something quick and nutritious for breakfast. So each week, I've been waking up a little earlier to get ready for church and make Smoothie Sundays possible. Through these weekly endeavors, I've learned my share of smoothie techniques and how smoothies differ from one another and which flavors work and which don't. In my opinion, one that didn't work for me was blending turmeric, frozen pineapple and fish oil all in one smoothie. It was the first time I didn't finish a smoothie! Anyhow, while I do believe smoothies are a healthy, convenient and equally delicious little breakfast they don't always keep Michael and I's bellies full for the entire morning... 

So this week, I've been playing around with our lovely blender and blending up some smoothies, and came across one that I really enjoyed. And it's filling too! Because I promised to post more recipes this year, it would be criminal of me not to share this smoothie with you all.


It's called Tahini & Sweet Potato Smoothie and it's packed with complex carbohydrates, fiber and beta-carotene. It features a few of my favorite ingredients too! Oats, sweet potato and tahini. Tahini gives the smoothie richness, boldness in flavor and a healthy dose of both calcium and fat. And the addition of the oats and sweet potato effectively prevent the epidemic today that is known as mid-morning hunger! Plus once blended you get a beautiful orange smoothie that is velvety smooth.

Tahini & Sweet Potato Smoothie 
  • 1/2 medium cooked sweet potato (The night before I usually roast a whole sweet potato in at 375 F for 45-50 minutes)
  • 1/2 frozen banana 
  • 1/2-1 cup almond milk (Add more milk depending on your desired level of thickness)
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon tahini paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • optional add-ins: 1 scoop vanilla protein powder; 1 tablespoon chia seeds


In a high speed blender place in all ingredients and blend until ingredients are smooth and thoroughly incorporated. For a sweeter smoothie try a teaspoon of maple syrup or a pitted date. Pour into a small glass and enjoy with a spoon. Mmm!

xo, Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment