Basil is at it's prime right about now, I'm loving it especially in this pesto and excited to share my recipe with you all today! Pesto sings summertime with it's vibrance, nuttiness and bright flavor. One of my favorite ways to eat this pesto is spread onto freshly rolled out pizza dough, topped with summer vegetables such as beets and zucchini, and sprinkled with cheese.
It looks a little something like this:
It also tastes delicious on grilled fish, smeared onto a hunk of bread, in potato salad, or simply tossed onto hot pasta. I could go on... The lemon brightens the pesto and preserves it's greenness in addition to keeping it fresher longer. Red pepper flakes are optional and plenty of fresh garlic is a must because I enjoy when pesto has a little kick with lots of flavor. We prefer pistachio pesto over the traditional pine nut pesto in my household because once we've tried it, we were hooked and never looked back!
Lemon Pistachio Pesto
- 1 bunch basil, thick stems removed
- 1/3 cup shelled roasted pistachios
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2-3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- pinch of kosher salt and pepper
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes